Silent Haven Community: A Silent Hill Forum for Fans!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is the Green Mile to Downpour....

2 posters

Go down

Is the Green Mile to Downpour.... Empty Is the Green Mile to Downpour....

Post  redroses2 Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:00 pm

to what Jacob's Ladder is to the first Silent Hill game?

I felt there were a lot of similarities between "The Green Mile" and Downpour. Maybe it was just because of the prison setting, but with the corrupt cop and the framing, it felt a lot like The Green Mile.

redroses2

Back to top Go down

Is the Green Mile to Downpour.... Empty Re: Is the Green Mile to Downpour....

Post  Mercurialde Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:59 pm

I can see where they have similarities. I wouldn't say that it is entirely pulled from the movie, but it might be a great guess at one of the influences for Downpour. One of my guesses would be The Cave. The mines are where we meet the "weeping bat" enemies, which seems like a shootout to the large, pale, grotesque bat/human hybrids in the movie. The tagline was "Below Earth there is Hell, below Hell there is The Cave". It would seem that The Cave and Silent Hill occupy the same space, since you must travel through the caves to get into your own personalized Hell on Earth.

Mercurialde
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  redroses2 Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:18 pm

Murder and molestation of a child also played a big part in The Green Mile, as it does in Downpour, though the main characters in both are in very different positions in terms of their relation to the murderer. Main character in The Green Mile was played by Tom Hanks (and thus I only know his name as Tom Hanks and can't remember the names of the other characters very well or who the characters really were outside of the Nice Black Man Who Was Innocent The Whole Time and That Really Sadistic Cop) and wasn't nearly as emotionally invested in what happened to the little girls nearly as much as Murphy was with what happened to his son.

Clearly they are two very different entities with their own stories and morals and such, but it did give me a very "Green Mile" vibe on top of reminding me of Silent Hill 2 in a way. It seemed a return to the "the town will punish you if you do not reconcile with yourself" that Silent Hill 2 had, and it was over something that a lot of parents who love their children would probably agree with. Not saying that all parents would put themselves in prison to murder a man, but it's a sentiment that I think is well understood by many people, parents better than non-parents.

redroses2

Back to top Go down

Post  Mercurialde Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:14 am

Being a new parent myself, I would just about put myself in jail over less than murder. It's an instinct to protect your child, and if they are gone to avenge them.
I definitely like Green Mile for the game, I'm just interested in seeing if we can piece together 90% of it using outside references. It would be interesting to see what the creators must be watching and doing in their free time.

Mercurialde
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  redroses2 Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:26 am

That would be really cool! Especially since sometimes people don't realize something is like something they've read or watched recently until later.

redroses2

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down